Deadwood History – Artifact of the Day

by | Jun 1, 2019 | Deadwood History Artifact of the Day | 0 comments

Title

Deadwood Main Street

Date

1876

Description

One-half of a stereograph featuring Deadwood’s Main Street with a crowd of men facing the camera. The men are standing in front of a building with a canvas roof, which was located at the present corner of Main and Lee Streets. Farther down the street are many other people and all seem to be facing the camera. The view faces north. 

On the right side of the photo are the Senate Saloon, a wine, liquor & cigar wholesaler, and the General Custer Hotel. On the left side of the photo are Dr. Babcock’s office, Progressive Hall, and City Market. The biggest crowd of men is in front of the Progressive Hall. 

A portion of the paper caption is still attached to the back of the photo. It was taken by Morrow as part of his series titled “Views of General Crook’s Expedition and the Black Hills”. A note written below the photo includes “Deadwood in …”

Collection

Adams Museum Collection


DONATE TODAY to Deadwood History, Inc.

DEADWOOD HISTORY, INC.

PO Box 252
150 Sherman St
Deadwood, SD 57732
605-722-4800

https://www.deadwoodhistory.com/


 

 

0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Lund Valley Farm

Advertisement

Get help with your website

Pin It on Pinterest